Faculty/Directorate: Health and Life Sciences
Department: Oxford School of Nursing and Midwifery
FT or % P/T: Various opportunities available.
Fixed until March 2022 in the first instance.
Principal location of work: Joel Joffe building, Swindon and/or Marston Road site, Oxford
Immediate line manager: Head of Professional Practice Skills
Qualifications required for post:
- Diploma in higher education in a health-related subject
- Current registration with the NMC
- Experience as a mentor and/or practice assessor
Experience required for post:
- Recent experience of working in a clinical environment as a nurse or midwife or evidence of maintaining current knowledge and expertise for the proficiencies of pre-registration nursing or midwifery programmes
- Experience of mentor and/or supervising pre or post-registration nursing or midwifery students in a clinical setting.
- Experience of teaching clinical skills to pre-registration or post-registration nursing or midwifery students would be desirable or teaching/facilitating learning in the workplace
Overall purpose of post:
- The assessment of the safe and effective application of clinical skills by nurses and midwives, at the point of entry to the register via obstructive clinical examination (OSCE).
- To contribute to the development, delivery and assessment of specifically designed simulated skills sessions for pre-registration nursing students and OSCE assessments.
- To deliver the required evidence based underpinning safe and effective assessment of nursing and midwifery practice to meet the proficiencies and learning outcomes of the assessments.
- To examine and assess the safe application of clinical skills by nurses and midwives seeking registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- To work in collaboration with the NMC OSCE Provision team to support to the growth of simulated skills assessment within the NMC standards.
- To participate in the administrative processes of the institution including quality assurance procedures, committee and working groups.
- To contribute as part of the teaching team to the design, development and implementation of clinical skills teaching resources and simulated based education.
- To support the implementation of the simulated based education strategy within the faculty.
- To mentor/supervise new members of staff within the delivery teams.
- To participate in staff development and appraisal processes.