The College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare is seeking to appoint a range of external examiners for our post-registration Healthcare Courses.
- PG Cert Independent and Supplementary Prescribing – also for the Independent and Supplementary Prescribing and Non-Medical Prescribing stand-alone modules – 1 post.
- MSc Improvement Science – 1 post
- MSc Infection Prevention and Control/MSc/PG Dip/PG Cert Clinical Practice – 1 post.
Our post-registration PG Cert Independent and Supplementary Prescribing award and the two standalone modules Independent and Supplementary Prescribing Level 7 and Non-Medical Prescribing Level 6 (for NMC registrants only) are highly popular. The applicant would need to be either an NMC or HCPC registered prescriber.
The external examiner for MSc Improvement Science would need insight into the culture of the NHS. This award is also a very popular post-registration programme and highly relevant to the current healthcare challenges, enabling students to apply their knowledge of improvement science to their healthcare practice.
The external examiner post for MSc Infection Prevention and Control/MSc/PG Dip/PG Cert Clinical Practice post-registration awards include a range of modules relating to healthcare and clinical practice, an interest in the specialism of infection prevention and control would be welcomed.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced lecturers in nursing. All appointments are subject to the candidate meeting the University’s criteria for appointment. Tenure will normally be for a period of four years.
There are intakes across the two campuses (Brentford and Reading). The assessment boards are all held on our Brentford campus (or using Microsoft Teams meetings). You will be joining a team of external examiners.
As an External Examiner you will be expected to:
- Have current registration with the NMC
- Be employed in Higher Education
- Scrutinize samples of examination/essay scripts and other assessed materials, advising module assessment boards on the content and standard of assessments.
- Attend a minimum of 2 assessment boards a year.
- Attend the annual Field Reviews.
- Review new modules in preparation for validation events.
- Advise on academic misconduct and appeal cases.
- Submit an annual report to the University Quality Boards.
If you have not been an external examiner before, a mentor would be appointed for you. You would be part of a team of external examiners for the post-registration nursing courses here at the University. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. If you are interested in the above posts please send your expressions of interest by June 20th 2021, together with a full CV, in the first instance to:
Dr Claire Anderson
College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare
University of West London