The College of Health & Social Care at the University of Derby is seeking to appoint an External Examiner. In this particular role the External Examiner has the responsibility of overseeing due process of the Postgraduate Assessment Boards, ensuring the Boards are conducted in line with the institution’s policies and regulations and to provide comments and recommendations regarding the maintenance of academic standards. Essentially, this role is focused on review and development of the College Postgraduate Framework (PGF). This will include external moderation of the final Independent Scholarship stage of the MSc Health & Social Care Studies but also the review of the student experience within the PGF.
Principal accountabilities / responsibilities include the following;
1. To notify the assessment boards of any concerns regarding any practice or decision which militates against the maintenance of academic standards or the fairness of assessment processes or outcomes.
2. To act as mentor for new and/or inexperienced External Examiners;
- be a part of the induction process either physically or virtually
- be available to answer questions from the inexperienced external examiner and clarify aspects of the role
- provide the inexperienced external examiner on an on-going basis with guidance with regard to the role generally and, in particular, on occasions where the inexperienced external requires independent advice.
3. To attend a minimum of one Assessment Board per year. These take place in July and October.
4. To submit electronically an annual report to the Institute for Learning Enhancement and Innovation (LEI) at the following address: ExternalExaminers@derby.ac.uk. The External Examiner report pro-forma can be accessed via the web page: http://www.derby.ac.uk/lei/quality/external-examiners
5. The fee payable is £300 and is paid following receipt of the annual report. This assumes a minimum workload of one Assessment Board per year, prod