The Discipline of Pre-qualifying Healthcare at the University of Derby invite applications to become an external examiner for the UB9BQ FDSc Assistant Practitioner programme. This programme is an apprenticeship and is delivered full online with a range of employer partners.
Your roles and responsibilities would include:
- To moderate a sample of scripts for each module that forms part of this programme;
- To report on the maintenance of nationally comparable standards across HE institutions, acting as independent and impartial advisors to the University, and provide informed comment on the standards set and student achievement in relation to those standards;
- To attend Assessment Boards associated with the modules in the listed programme(s) and compile an annual report according to University of Derby Regulations.
- To advise on proposed amendments to the programmes and on curriculum development and design to ensure currency, relevance, and coherence of curricular material.
You do not need to have been an external examiner before. We can provide you with an identified mentor to provide support if you do not have previous HE external examining experience.
You will be a suitably qualified and registered healthcare professional from any field of practice, discipline, or profession.
External examiners at the University of Derby:
- Have knowledge and understanding of UK sector agreed reference points for the maintenance of academic standards and assurance and enhancement of quality;
- Have competence and experience in the fields covered by the programme of study, or parts thereof;
- Have relevant academic and/or professional qualifications to at least the level of the qualification being externally examined, and/or extensive practitioner experience where appropriate;
- Have sufficient standing, credibility and breadth of experience within the discipline to be able to command the respect of academic peers and, where appropriate, professional peers;
- Be familiar with the standard to be expected of students to achieve the award that is to be assessed.
- Meet applicable criteria set by professional, statutory or regulatory bodies;
- Have awareness of current developments in the design and delivery of relevant curricula;
- Have competence and experience relating to the enhancement of the student learning experience;
- Complement the existing external examiner team.
Proposed external examiner must not be:
- Involved in a reciprocal arrangement involving cognate programmes at another institution;
- Succeeding a colleague from the same department in the same institution;
- Going to be assessing colleagues who are recruited as students to the programme of study;
- Going to have responsibilities in excess of the maximum workload permitted according to the University’s regulations (no more than 250 pieces of work at any one assessment point).
If you are interested in this role and would like to express an interest, please send an expression of interest and your CV to Julia Woodland, programme leader, at J.Woodland@derby.ac.uk.